Hello, My name is Sheryl Purcell and I am a licensed Marriage & Family Therapist who has worked for over twelve years in private practice in the village of Carlsbad. It has been my privilege to work with individuals, couples, families and children and witness their improvements in communication, and strengthened family connections that enhance the quality and satisfaction of their relationships. I have watched young children learn to identify their feelings, and express them by drawing pictures, verbalizing them to their Mom or Dad. or creating a world in the sandtray without using any words. I am living my dream life by working as a therapist, I could not wish for a better job: helping people find healing, hope and renewal in their relationships and lives.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU COULD BENEFIT FROM COUNSELING?
If you find yourself dreading getting up in the morning, avoiding contact with your spouse or partner, struggling with parenting or generally feeling overwhelmed by life, you could use someone to talk to. As a licensed, professional therapist, I can listen objectively, reflect your thoughts and feelings, and help you sort out what is going on in your heart and in your mind.
A therapist doesn’t have all the answers for you or your life, but I can help you find your own answers. Most people can benefit from someone who will listen in a non-judgmental and compassionate way. By learning and practicing coping skills or improving self-care you may notice your mood begin to improve, and hopefully feel renewed energy. Many people struggle with clear, appropriate communication with their partner, children or friends. I can provide education in communication skills and facilitate those difficult conversations that are often necessary in repairing and restoring healthy relationships. If you feel liked you’ve forgotten who you are and what is important to you, I can work with you to re-establish your connection with your deepest self and restore confidence in yourself and in your abilities.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR CHILD COULD BENEFIT FROM COUNSELING?
If your child is experiencing difficulty in school, having frequent meltdowns at home, or having problems with peers or friends, short term counseling may assist you and your child in figuring out what is going on for the child. Engaging in sandplay, art materials and conversation, your child will begin to unconsciously work on moving to the next developmental stage in growth and development or catch up on a stage not quite completed. Counseling can help children learn to identify and appropriately express feelings; develop social skills; process grief and loss; and help a child or teen adjust to changes in the family or challenges at school.
SANDPLAY CAN BE USED AS AN ADJUNCT TO TALK THERAPY
Using symbolic objects, children, and adults, can portray difficult feelings and experiences, without verbalization, in the sandplay tray. Sandplay is a place of inner focus, and helps to balance the outer focus we are often absorbed by in today’s world.
EXPRESSIVE ARTS THERAPY ALLOWS FOR EXPRESSION OF OUR IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY AND TAPS INTO THE UNCONSCIOUS WORLD
Working with simple art materials such as paint and paper, found images, glue and scissors, you can learn to play with abandon, at the same time finding meaningful expression of your thoughts and feelings. As a trained SoulCollage® facilitator, I offer individual and group sessions to explore relationships, parts of self, archetypal energies and your experience of the spiritual dimensions of life.
Background & Training:
- California Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, Distinguished Graduate National University
- Art Therapy Institute of North County, Art Therapy Training, Encinitas, CA
- Sky Mountain Institute, Expressive Arts Training, Escondido, CA
- Jungian Sandplay Training, C. G. Jung Institute, Los Angeles, CA,
- Jung in Ireland: The Archetype of the Wanderer, New York Center for Jungian Studies, Galway, Ireland
- SoulCollage® Facilitator Training with Seena Frost, Los Gatos, CA
- Working with Military Families, Kim Evans, Camarillo, CA
- SoulCollage® Facilitator Training & Retreat, Kat Kirby, Carcassonne, France
- Ericksonian Conference, San Francisco, CA
- Member, San Diego North County Chapter, California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists, 1999-Present; President 2007/2008, Community Liaison 2005/2006, Vice President 2003/2004
- Member, California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists, 1999-Present
- Children and Adolescents
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Couples Counseling
- Expressive Arts Therapy
- Family Counseling
- Gay and Lesbian Couples
- Grief and Loss
- Individual Counseling
- Military Families
- Parenting Skills
- Recovery from Narcissistic Abuse
- Recovery from Childhood Trauma
- Women’s Issues