Individual Counseling to Improve your Overall Life Satisfaction
Psychotherapy or counseling is a process by which we help you to examine your thoughts, feelings, actions, and relationships in an effort to gain insight (discover where problems exist and what changes can improve your overall life satisfaction).
Our Comprehensive Approach:
We use a comprehensive approach consisting of coaching, psychological education, emotional support, ongoing behavioral and emotional analysis and feedback, and behavioral and cognitive (ways of thinking) training.
Therapy can help you if you:
- Feel overwhelmed by life problems
- Depression, anxiety, phobias or anger are taking over your life
- Have low self-worth that keeps you from reaching your goals
- Have trouble managing major life decisions
- Are having difficulties with important relationships
- Have difficulty setting boundaries
- Are having difficulty coping with a serious illness in yourself, a family member, or friend
- Can’t handle the stress of your job or life
- Are struggling with sexual dysfunctions
- Are troubled by eating disorders
- Have been sexually, physically, or verbally abused
- Are suffering from trauma or PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Have difficulty sleeping
- Suffer with obsessive-compulsive disorders or addictions
- You don’t know what to do or where to turn for help
We have a lot of experience and success helping people with difficult life circumstances to reduce their symptoms and improve the quality of their lives. We can help make anxiety, stress, depression, worry, low-self esteem, and sleepless nights to become a thing of the past.
Family Therapy & Parenting
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all just get along?
Every member of a family is an individual. Individuals have unique personalities, perspectives, and stresses – both inside and outside of the family unit. Through family therapy:
We will help you examine your family’s ability to solve problems and express emotions and thoughts in positive ways. We will explore familial roles, rules, and behavioral patterns to help your family get past conflicts and stresses to understand and support one another.
Family therapy may benefit you if you or your family is having difficulties with:
- Constant arguing
- Misbehavior or school problems in a child or adolescent
- Setting and keeping appropriate boundaries
- Separating or divorce (including step-parenting problems
and conflicts in blended or remarried families)
- Death or illness in the family
- Major life changes
- Family violence or substance abuse
- Empty nest
Marriage and Pre-Marriage Counseling
Develop Healthier Relationships
The divorce rate in the US is 50% for first marriages and even higher for second and third marriages. . . So don’t wait until your relationship is heading toward a crisis to start marriage counseling! As your “relationship coach,” we will help you and your partner see past the hurt or disconnect to reach more satisfaction, connection and security in your relationship. With our help, you can move beyond the pain to release emotional blocks and develop healthier communication and negotiation skills. Our San Diego therapist work is influenced by the work of Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. and IMAGO (author of Getting the Love You Want and Giving the Love that Heals), John Gottman, Ph. D. (author of Why Marriages Succeed or Failand Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work), in addition to our own extensive experience working with couples.
Pre-marriage counseling is a wonderful way to damage-proof a relationship BEFORE marital trouble takes its toll. We will help you reach a deep level of connection and commitment before you take your vows.
Children and marital discord
Where did your patterns come from? Your relationship is often a model for your children and can profoundly influence how they behave in their own future relationships.
Separation / Divorce
Ending a relationship can be a difficult and painful process, particularly if there are custody and child-rearing issues. Bitter separations and divorces hurt both partners and create deep mistrust that can adversely impact your relationship with your child, as well as any present or future intimate relationships your child may have. If you have decided to end your relationship, we can provide structured San Diego therapist support for a compassionate and appropriate closure.
Adolescence is a Tumultuous Time . . . our teen counseling can help
Is your teen moody? Does he or she lash out unpredictably? Adolescence is a tumultuous time – for both parents and teens! Teens struggle with so many difficult issues, things like identity and self-esteem problems,sexuality and body image issues, peer pressure and the need to “fit in.”
As teens transition into adulthood, they often wonder: “Who am I?” The anger, sadness, fear, shame, and frustration they may feel can be incredibly overwhelming. These emotions often mask even more painful feelings.
We can teach adolescents productive coping mechanisms, so they learn to deal with their emotions in healthy ways instead of behaving rebelliously or destructively.
Let us help you and your adolescent make a smooth transition through this new phase of life.
We will help both the parents and teen:
- Understand why your teen acts out with rebellious, stubborn behaviors
- Learn to express their feelings and desires productively
- Validate and empathize with your teen
- Improve self-esteem
- Develop healthy boundaries
- Reduce destructive behaviors
- Create closer, more trusting family relationships